bleeper

bleeper

Professor's Keeper - Nicole Dennis 1.75I wanted to like this book, I really did, mostly because I have a thing for nerd - tough guy pairings.But then I read the first sentence:Alistair Tarrellton, a young scientist and professor who possessed multiple masters, doctorates, and philosophical degrees...Aren't doctorates (PhDs) the same as philosophical degrees (PhDs)? Am I missing something?Unfortunately, this wasn't an isolated incidence of mistaken word usage; there were more throughout the entire book which made the writing awkward enough to take away from my enjoyment of the story. Worse, a lot of those mistakes were in the dialog of the super-duper smart nerd character, the young professor with the multiple degrees (but who apparently doesn't quite understand the words he uses).Example (from chapter 2):"I'm reaching an acceptable level of normalization. I find myself rather embarrassed for my reactions," Alistair said..."Alistair may be reaching a level of normalcy or normality or even normalness, but I'm not so sure it's possible for him to reach any level of "normalization" here. (Normalization = the act or process of making something normal, not a state of actually being normal.)Then, the one time he uses Japanese, he gets it wrong:Alistair bowed with respect to the revered scientist. "Arigato, kagakusha."That's a bit like saying,"Thanks, scientist," except maybe cuter-sounding. Maybe. Normally, I can overlook foreign language mistakes since no author (or reader) is fluent in all the languages of the world and this is just one instance, but to have this on top of a slew of other language problems makes it hard to shrug off. Surely someone could have asked around for a bit of help here, online and off? There are sites and forums where people translate short paragraphs and sentences for free.Overall, it felt like the author put in as many words as possible without being careful of the meanings or usages just to show how socially awkward (But intelligent!) Alistair is.Also, they started living together within hours of meeting each other? Um, yeah, kind of made their romance unconvincing.