bleeper

bleeper

Ice Around the Edges - Mary Calmes 2.5This is long because I don't know when to shut up.It's hard for me to feel the love and romance in this story. I've re-read it a couple of times thinking that maybe I'd get to like it and like the characters more, that maybe I made my original issues with it to be more than they are, but no.Despite the fact that he knows Evan's in the hospital, Dixon doesn't bother to visit until he learns that it was all originally a misunderstanding. He would've continued to stay away if he hadn't found that out? Or if it hadn't been a misunderstanding at all? Because that's how I'm reading it.He breaks up with Evan after 4 (supposedly) great years together because he overhears his father and grandfather talking about someone he assumes is Evan. He makes no attempt to discuss it with them or to convince them they're wrong about Evan. For 10 years, he makes no attempt to keep in contact (at least it seems that way). If the misunderstanding hadn't been cleared up, or if his father and grandfather really had disapproved of Evan, they'd still be broken up because Dixon's family and his inheritance would still be more important to him than Evan and because he's too much of a coward to fight for Evan. (He admits that that's why he left Evan before.) Sure, he blows up at his father, but I don't see how he's become any less of a coward since he doesn't even go to see Evan in the hospital (when he knows Evan's been shot) until he realizes his father does not, in fact, disapprove of Evan.Well. That's true love for you.Also, the way the misunderstanding is cleared up? Doesn't make any sense. Dixon's yelling at his father about Evan for no reason that anyone can fathom, everyone's staring at them, trying to figure out what the hell is up when, out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever, his grandfather oh-so-conveniently brings up the exact conversation that caused the misunderstanding even though the conversation had nothing at all to do with Evan.Lastly, I like Mary Calmes' books, I really do, but the characters tend to be rather squinty-eyed. Why? They all have eye problems? Strange facial tics? Where are these blindingly bright lights that aren't being mentioned in the books? It makes me want to send them to an eye doctor, stat. Not that it was as bad in this book as in some of her others.